Turf Installation – Laying Your Lawn
- Prepare the area prior to ordering your turf.
- Dampen the soil where the turf is to be installed.
- The turf needs to be installed and watered immediately after being delivered.
- Start with a straight line, along the longest edge, perhaps a driveway or boundary line.
- Unroll the turf across the area in a staggered pattern (similar to bricklaying). If the ground is sloped, align the pattern across the slope. This minimizes the possibility of trenches forming between the rolls.
- Make sure the turf rolls are butted tightly together. Avoid leaving gaps or overlapping. Gaps will allow air to get in between the rolls and dry the edges out.
- Shape the turf rolls around objects (garden beds, trees, drains etc.) by cutting it to fit with a sharp spade or knife.
- On a large lawn it is best to do it in smaller sections so that you can water as you go.
- Thoroughly water your new lawn after installing and keep it moist in the first week or two.
- Fertilise your lawn after the turf has taken root in the soil. Usually around 5 weeks after installation.
Check with our staff about different watering requirements during various seasons.